Date Posted: 12/22/2018
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Department: Breeding/ Farrowing
Job Status: Full Time/Part Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Department Supervisor
Work Schedule: 45 Hours/Week (full time only)
Positions Supervised: None
Select and breed animals according to heat checking practices. May require a knowledge of artificial insemination techniques and equipment use. May involve keeping records on heats, breeds and feed. Care for sows and piglets during birthing and nursing phases.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS STATEMENT
- Feed and water animals; clean and disinfect pens and crates.
- Examine animals in order to detect symptoms of illness or injury.
- Administer vaccinations according to health protocol in order to protect animals from diseases.
- Treat injuries and ailments in sick and/or lame animals according to AMVC policy.
- Observe animals in heat in order to detect approach of estrus.
- Maintain breed records.
- Adjust controls in order to maintain specific building temperatures required for animals' health and safety.
- Tag animals in order to allow animal identification.
- Monitor sows during labor and provide aid during delivery.
- Processing piglets by clipping tails, giving shots, and castrating.
- Ensure piglets are cared for by following warming box, treatment, and fostering policies.
- Identify animals that are of age and weight to be weaned and transported to customers.
- Maintain farrowing records.
- Moving animals, while utilizing proper personal protective equipment, through the breeding, gestation, and farrowing phases into appropriate rooms and/or pens.
- Artificially inseminate sows.
- Attend meetings and training as required.
- Monitor ventilation to ensure proper airflow for animals comfort.
Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic
Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy. Adequate attendance
Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one's conduct.
Stand C (Constantly)
Walk C (Constantly)
Sit O (Occasionally)
Handling/Fingering C (Constantly)
Reach Outward F (Frequently)
Reach Above Shoulder F (Frequently)
Climb O (Occasionally)
Crawl N (Not Applicable)
Squat or Kneel O (Occasionally)
Bend F (Frequently)
10 lbs or less F (Frequently)
11-20 lbs F (Frequently)
21-50 lbs F (Frequently)
51-100 lbs O (Occasionally)
Over 100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
12 lbs or less F (Frequently)
13-25 lbs O (Occasionally)
26-40 lbs O (Occasionally)
41-100 lbs O (Occasionally)
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally) Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5+ hours/day).
F (Frequently) Occupation requires this activity from 33% to 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hours/day).
C (Constantly) Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hours/day).
AMVC has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and AMVC reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as AMVC may deem appropriate.
How to Apply:
Once you click the above button, you will be redirected to the job description. On that new screen click the apply button on the top right corner. From there you will be redirected to a login screen. Check the box for the first time user and follow the steps to create a username and password.
If you have trouble applying or have not heard from an AMVC recruiter in 2 days after you have submitted your application, please call 712.563.2080.
Contact with any questions:
AMVC Employee Services
508 Market Street
Audubon, IA 50025